Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ohio Spelling Champ Seeks Free Agency


CINCINNATI-- Anamika Veeramani, newly crowned National Spelling Bee champion announced today that she is willing to talk to other states about spelling for them in the upcoming 2010-2011 bee season. Rumors had been flying that the 14-year old Veeramani was anxious to move on.

"I can't say one way or another where Anamika is headed," said her agent, Brutus Mung. "But I can tell you this, wherever she goes, that state will be lucky to have her!"

After a grueling battle with the other contestants, Veeramani nailed the last word "stromuhr" to take home the hardware.

"I'm going to enjoy this for a little while, but then it's back to work. I'm always looking forward to next season," Veeramani said. "I love Ohio. I love what I've done here, but I'm going to do what's best for me and my family."

Word on the street is that Pennsylvania is trying to poach Veeramani to join other A-list spellers Barak DeRosa and Ween Alloway, while New York has been talking to Duke's spelling coach Tom Grevieshkva in order to entice Veeramani to come spell for them. Pennsylvania and New York were unavailable for comment.

But Ohioans still have two months to try to convince Veeramani to stay--she was grounded last week by her parents for not cleaning her room. "She's not going anywhere," said Mr. Veeramani.

Aramika is un-grounded July 23rd. Mark your Calendars.

-Perry Winkler

2 comments:

  1. I'm DVR'ing the President's interview on ESPN tonight, he is supposed to be weighing in on her free agency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intimidation tactics to get her to sign with Illinois.

    ReplyDelete